Building & Code Enforcement
The Norristown Building and Code Enforcement Department primary functions:
It is the goal of our department to:
- Help to Maintain a Healthy Community: The department verifies that properties do not pose a health threat to the surrounding community. The department enforces strict property maintenance codes. These codes include measures to prevent insect or rodent infestation as well as to insure that vegetation is maintained at acceptable heights. Trash and debris are also not permitted to accumulate on properties.
- Maintain Transparency: The department leadership believes that the taxpayers should understand how the department works and what steps it is taking to move forward. These efforts include regular reports to Council as well as attending community meetings when necessary.
- Reduce Blight: The Building and Code Enforcement Department will initially try to work with owners to repair blighted properties. If those attempts are unsuccessful, the department will move the property to sheriff sale. In certain instances the Municipality will abate the condition or; if necessary, demolish the structure.
- Verify Construction: The department ensures that all construction is performed in accordance with the applicable local and state laws. The goal of the Building and Code Enforcement Department is to provide safe housing for residents by ensuring that all new construction, existing building renovations and system installations are performed by qualified individuals in a professional manner.
- Verify Sound Properties: The department ensures that properties are structurally sound. The department does not tolerate deterioration that may potentially impact a building's structural integrity. When this occurs, the department will move to have the owner demolish the building. In the event an owner is unable or unwilling to do so, the Municipality will have the building demolished and the lot cleared of all debris.
- And, last but certainly no least, treat each and every resident with whom we interact with courtesy and respect.
- Addendum - 2012 International Property Maintenance Code (PDF)
- Annual Rental Dwelling License Application Instructions (PDF)
- Board of Code Appeals Application
- Chimney Certification Form
- Code Fee Schedule 2019
- Construction Fire Permit Application (PDF)
- Contractor Registration
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- HARB Application
- HARB Schedule
- Heating Certification Form
- Land Development and Building Permit Process Users Guide (PDF)
- Operational Fire Permit Application (PDF)
- PA UCC Guide
- Permit Application Packet
- Permit Extension Request
- Plan Review Application
- Property Transfer Application
- Rental De-Registration Request
- Rental Information Update Form
- Rental Inspection Extension Request
- Rental License Appeal Application
- Rental Registration Application
- Request to Close or Void Open Permit
- Shade Tree Application
- Swimming Pool Requirements (JPG)
- Tenant Information Guide - English (PDF)
- Tenant Information Guide - Spanish (PDF)
- Use Group Guide
- Violation Ticket Appeal Application
- Workers Compensation Memo
- Yard Garage Sale Permit (PDF)