Code Enforcement & Building Fee Schedule
MUNICIPALITY OF NORRISTOWN
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Resolution No. 15-146 of 2015
1. Contractor's Licenses
- Before February 1st (annually) $70
- After February 1st (annually) $80
- Note: All plumbing and electrical employees must be licenses
- Contractor's license is valid for the calendar year (January 1st through December 31st). Any contractor commencing work without first obtaining a license shall be subject to a payment of double the fee described above.
2. Building Permit Fees
- Permit applicants shall pay a fee based on the total estimated cost of the project ($70 minimum). The Code Enforcement Department may require the applicant to provide a contract or similar documentation to verify estimated project costs. FEES SHALL BE PAID AT THE TIME WHEN THE PERMIT IS ISSUED.
- Building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical, fire and energy permits shall be issued separately and each permit fee shall be based on the following fee scale calculation for the total project value as follows:
- Graduated Fee Scale Amounts/Rates
- Construction Project Value
- Total project value up to $2,000 ($0 -$2,000) $70
- Total project value up to $50,000 ($2,001 - $50,000) 3% per $1,000 of project value or fraction thereof
- Total project value up to $3,000,000 ($50,001 - $3,000,000) 1.50% per $1,000 of project value or fraction thereof
- Total project value over $3,000,000 ($3,000,000 and greater) 0.75% per $1,000 of project value or fraction thereof
- A project that includes multiple parcels and the total construction value of the parcel exceed $50,000, each permit for each parcel shall be calculated based on 1.5% per $1,000 construction project value for the project or project phase. This fee calculation applies only to projects that are regulated by the International Residential Code.
- All permits require an additional $4.50 State fee established by Act 45 of 1999. Each permit fee shall also be subject to a $25 Administration fee.
- Any person commencing work without first obtaining an approved permit from the Municipality shall be subject to a payment of double the permit fee described above.
- Building permit fees include the cost of two (2) inspections for each phase of the project, e.g. footings, framing, plumbing, etc. Additional inspections, requires because work completed failed to pass the initial two (2) inspections, shall result in an additional $30 fee for each additional inspection.
- Inspections canceled by the contractor or resident with notification of less than 24 hours in advance of scheduled time shall result be assessed a $25 cancellation fee.
3. Plan review fees
- Building plans submitted for review to the Municipality of Norristown Code Enforcement Department as part of a permit application will be charged an additional fee. FEES SHALL BE PAID AT THE TIME WHEN THE PERMIT IS ISSUED.
- a. Residential Plans (per hour) $70
- b. Commercial Plans (per hour) $110
- c. Administrative Fee (per review) $25
- d. Norristown Volunteer Fire Companies $-
- A plan review must be completed for ALL fire detection and suppression systems. The Municipality shall, at its sole discretion, determine when plan reviews for other projects are required.
4. Use and Occupancy Permits
- All property that transfers ownership in the Municipality of Norristown must be inspected PRIOR to the settlement and a Use and Occupancy Permit must be issued. Failure to obtain a Use and Occupancy Permit or a Temporary Use and Occupancy Permit prior to settlement will result in assessment of double the usual fee. In addition, Use and Occupancy inspection and permit is required whenever a property chases use, as determined by either the zoning or building codes.
- a. Commercial Units-Low Hazard Occupancy (Business, Retail, etc.)
- 1 - 2,000 square feet $110
- 2,001 - 5,000 square feet $160
- 5,001 -,10,000 square feet $210
- 10,001 - 100,000 square feet $260
- 100,001 square feet and greater $310
- b. Commercial Units-High Hazard Occupancy (Manufacturing, Warehouse, etc.)
- 1 - 2,000 square feet $200
- 2,001 - 5,000 square feet $250
- 5,001 -,10,000 square feet $300
- 10,001 - 100,000 square feet $400
- 100,001 square feet and greater $500
- c. Residential Units
- First Unit (per unit) $75
- Each additional unit (per unit) $75
- d. Administrative Fee $25
- e. Norristown Volunteer Fire Companies $-
- The property owner may be charged an additional fee for the cost of third party inspectors, engineers or other professionals needed to complete the inspection, re-inspection or plan review.
- Use and Occupancy Permits fees must be paid at the time of application. Use and Occupancy Permit fees include the cost of two inspections. Additional inspections shall result in an assessment of $30 for each additional inspection.
5. Sign and Banner Permits/Licenses
- Property owners wishing to erect a sign must first obtain an approved sign permit.
- Sign Permit Fee (per $1000 of construction costs) $30
- Norristown Volunteer Fire Companies $-
- Any person commissioning work without first obtaining an approved permit from the Municipality shall be subject to an assessment of double the permit fee described above. Owners of the property on which the sign is erected shall pay the Municiapl an annual license fee as follows:
- Signs less than 20 square feet (per sign) $15
- Signs greater than 20 square feet (per square foot) $1.50
- Banner permit fee for each calendar month displayed (per square foot) $3
- Norristown Volunteer Fire Companies $-
6. Rental Licenses
- Owners of residential rental property must obtain a license to operate by November 15th of each year for the following year:
- a. Each rental unit (owner-occupied units are exempt) (per unit) $65
- b. Penalty for failure to obtain a license by January 31st of the following year (per unit) $60
- Owner of residential rental property operating a rental unit without a valid license shall be assessed double the rental license fee in addition to any penalties.
- Rental License fees include two (2) inspections. Additional inspections due to failure to pass initial inspections and re-inspections shall result if an assessment of $30 for each additional inspection.
- Inspections canceled by the landlord with notification of less than 24 hours in advance of scheduled time or failure to grant access shall be assess a $40 cancelation/no-show fee per rental unit scheduled for inspection.
7. Property Abatement
- In cases where the Municipality resources are used to abate property maintenance violations, property owners will be charged the cost for services based on the following schedule:
- a. Laborer (per man/per hour) $14
- b. Equipment (per hour) $17
- c. Chainsaw (per day) $55
- d. Miscellaneous tools (per day) $25
- e. Dump truck (per hour) $75
- f. Bucket truck (per hour) $125
- g. Sweeper (per hour) $125
- h. Dumping fee (Per ton) $75
8. Board up Permit
- Owner of the property who voluntarily or is ordered to board up three (3) or more windows, doors or other openings shall be required to obtain a permit. $100
9. Deed Registry Fee $10
10. Code Appeals Board
- Property owners who wish to appeal a decision of the Code Enforcement Department may do so to the Code Appeals Board. The following amounts are charged to the appellant in order to cover the cost of holding a hearing:
- a. Stenographer $400
- b. Advertising $50
- c. Administrative Fee $50
- d. Solicitor $135
11. Pawnbroker and Dealers registration fee $400
- Pursuant to Ordinance 15-03 the Pawnbrokers and Dealers of precious metals, antiques and secondhand goods must register annually.