Zoning Hearing Board
Meetings are held at 7:00 PM in Council Chambers on the 4th Tuesday of every month at Municipal Hall. (Note: meetings have moved online due to the state’s stay-at-home order that went into effect on March 23 that has limited public gatherings.)
The Zoning Hearing Board consists of five residents appointed by the Municipal Council to serve five-year overlapping terms to render adjudications in the following matters:
- Appeals from a determination by a township engineer or the Zoning Officer with reference to the administration of any flood plain or flood hazard ordinance or such provisions within a land use ordinance.
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer or township engineer in the administration of any land use ordinance or provisions thereof with reference to sedimentation and erosion control and storm water management.
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer, including, but not limited to, the granting or denial of any permit or failure to act on the application therefore, the issuance of any cease and desist order or the registration or refusal to register any nonconforming use, structure or lot.
- Applications for special exceptions under the zoning ordinance or flood plain or flood hazard ordinance or such provisions within a land use ordinance.
- Applications for variances from the terms of the zoning ordinance and flood hazard ordinance or such provisions within a land use ordinance.
- Substantive challenges to the validity of any land use ordinance.
The length of the membership for the Zoning Hearing Board is a five-year term. Members must be residents of Norristown.
A formal description of the committee is detailed in Chapter 320, Article XXX, of the Norristown General Code.
Legal notices and public notices from previous Zoning Hearing Board meetings can be found here.
Map of Properties Under Review
First, find the pin that is located at the property you are interested in. This can be done by simply zooming into the property itself, or if you do not know where the property is located you can type the address in the search bar next to the "Meeting Map" title. After you find the pins for the property you are interested in, click on any of them to display information such as Property Address, Meeting Date/Time, Site Plans, and more. Each category (Zoning Hearing Board, Planning Commission and Design Review Board) will have different information pertaining to the property.