Norristown is divided into areas or “zones.” While a certain activity may be allowed in one zone, it may not be allowed in another. For example, it is typically not legal to operate a business in a residential neighborhood. The Norristown Department of Planning and Municipal Development is responsible for enforcing local laws that restrict where an activity (or what we call a “use”) can be located. Use the Interactive Zoning Map below to see what zone your property is located in.
Please use the Use Registration Form (PDF) for any changes in zoning which include:
- Buying and Leasing Commercial Real Estate
- Buying and Selling Multi-Family Residential Real Estate
You may be interested in opening a new business in Norristown or converting a single family home into two or more residential units. Both of these activities require that you first get zoning approval. For this reason, before you sign a lease or sales agreement for a property you hope to use for a new business venture, contact the Planning and Municipal Development Department, or fill out a Use Registration Form (PDF). Department staff will work with you to determine whether the use you envision is legal and what conditions may be applicable to your use and get back to you within 30 days.
Zoning Required Activities
There are other activities that require zoning approval, including the following:
- Decks The zoning ordinance also regulates the size and setbacks for decks.
- Fences Norristown’s zoning ordinance restricts both the height of the fence and how close to the property line a fence can be placed.
- Sheds Norristown’s zoning ordinance regulates the placement and size of sheds.
- Signs There are sign ordinance requirements regarding the size, style and type of sign. Sign installations must be approved by the Department of Planning and Municipal Development prior to installation. Most signs also require a building permit, so be sure to check with the Code Enforcement Department before installing your sign.
Zoning is an important first step in the process of opening or relocating a business, transferring ownership of a business, or other use in Norristown. Once zoning is approved, the building at the property you plan to locate must be inspected by the Norristown Code Enforcement Department to ensure that the space has all the safety features and other improvements required by law to support your business activity.
You must be issued a Property Transfer / Change of Tenant Permit prior to moving into your new space. Contact the Norristown Code Enforcement Department for more information at 610-270-1441.
View the entire Norristown Zoning ordinance (PDF).
For more information, contact the Department of Planning and Municipal Development at 610-270-0451.