On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) was signed into law by Pres. Joe Biden. This $1.9 trillion bill provided funding for municipalities as an infusion of resources to meet COVID-19 pandemic response needs and rebuild a stronger, more equitable economy as the country recovers. Norristown will receive $20,140,216 in economic stimulus money through ARPA!
In mid-June 2022, the municipality received the second and final payment of the $20.1 million about funds received, information about using the money, and how to get community and council input on how to use the funds. Public meetings will be held on July 12 and 14 at the MCIU (2 W. Lafayette St.) at 6:30 each night to gather more input.
So far, council has approved the following funds for projects:
- $1.9 million- Stormwater Authority operations
- $1.2 million- general 2022 budget relief
- $1.156 million-skate park at Poley Park
- $737,500- new fire truck
- $675,000- sewer system evaluation
- $318,000- park equipment improvements (Bartash, McCann, and Simmons).
- $290,000-four police vehicles
- $133,284-Rapp Alley storm water installation
- $50,000-flood control gates and dam gauge,
Presentations: June 15, 2021 ARPA funds presentation.