NORRISTOWN- The seasonal habit of tidying up fallen leaves and putting them out for collection is quickly returning.
The municipal Public Works Department has announced that the leaf pickup program will start on Oct. 19 and continue through Dec. 9. Residents may push their leaves to the grassy area by the curb, or within five feet of the curb if there is no grass between the sidewalk and curb, and they will be collected during regularly scheduled street maintenance times. (For example, if there is no parking on your block Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to noon, leaves are scheduled to be collected in that timeframe as it is the maintenance schedule for that block.)
Public Works offers a few tips to help with the leaf pickup:
- Leaves may not be placed by the curb no sooner than 24 hours before your scheduled pickup day.
- Do not rake leaves into the street.
- Brown, biodegradable bags may be used.
- Leaves should be free of debris and branches.
- Avoid piling around posts, mailboxes and fire hydrants.
- Leaves will no be collected from alleys.
If you are unsure of your street’s maintenance schedule/leaf pickup day you may find the information here, or by calling 610-270-0437.