The new year will welcome a new face to Norristown Municipal Council with a vacancy on the seven-person panel.
Councilman Hakim Jones resigned his fourth district seat effective Jan. 5, 2023 and will require a resident to fill his unexpired term through the end of the year.
Norristown residents who are interested in being appointed to finish Jones’s term through Dec. 31, 2023 should submit a cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
235 E. Airy St.
Norristown, PA 19401
Deadline for submitting is 3 p.m., Jan. 19, 2023!
Qualifications to serve on Norristown Municipal Council:
1. Be a citizen of the United States of America;
2. Be a qualified voter of the Municipality;
3. Have been a resident of the Municipality for at least three years prior to nomination;
4. In the case of a District Council Member, be and remain a resident of the district in which he or she is elected to represent during his/her elected term;
5. Not have been convicted of embezzlement of public monies, bribery, perjury or other infamous crime; and,
6. Not otherwise be disqualified from office by the terms of this Charter or by general law.
Process to fill a vacancy:
Per the Municipal Charter, if a vacancy shall occur in the office of a Council Member for any reason set forth in the Charter, the remaining members of Council shall, by simple majority vote, within 30 days following the vacancy, appoint a person qualified to hold such office and to serve.